As you may or may not know, Spiral Nature is run by a tiny handful of dedicated volunteers. Currently our editorial team consists of our editor-in-chief Nico Mara-McKay, senior editor Jenna Danchuk, and reviews editor Sharon Woods, and with the incredible things we have planned, we need more help, and we’re looking for an assistant editor.
Our new assistant editor will support the editors, liaise with writers to ensure they’re on deadline and communicate feedback, change requests, and format articles for publication in WordPress.
For this role, we’re looking for someone to handle editing articles, and working with writers to ensure their writing matches the pitches assigned and our mandate.
Duties will include
- Substantive editing of articles and reviews
- Copyediting and proofing
- Communicate feedback to writers
- Use your specialist knowledge to contribute ideas
- Assist sourcing freelancers to produce new material
- Writing articles and reviews (and, yes, you get paid for these too)
- Assist with social media schedulling and interaction
What we’re looking for in an assistant editor
- 5-10 hours of your time per week
- Attention to detail
- Substantive and copy editing skills
- Intimate knowledge of Spiral Nature, what we publish, our style
- Experience with WordPress
- Moderate HTML skills
- Moderate social media skills (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, LinkedIn)
- Knowledge of a broad range of occult subjects and Pagan practices
- Familiarity with Canadian spelling, the Canadian Oxford Dictionary of Current English, and The Chicago Manual of Style or the ability to brush up on these things
- Eagerness to put Spiral Nature’s Style Guide into action
This position can be entirely remote, but if you’re in Toronto, there may be opportunity for in-person planning sessions, drinks, and noms.
Please note: This is a volunteer position, with a $100 honourarium paid each quarter for the wickedly awesome person who secures this position. With that in mind…
What you get out of it
- Experience editing the world’s most awesome occulture magazine
- Your name on the masthead
- Build contacts within the Pagan and occult communities
- Nico’s eternal gratitude
- That $100 quarterly honourarium
- Other perks as they arise?
Send an email outlining your experience, social media profiles, blog, and anything else you feel is relevant. We don’t need to see a resume; instead please send links to samples of your writing and editing work.
Not interested, but know someone who might be? Please share this job posting with them and anyone else in your network. Thanks!
Application deadline: 17 February 2017