As you may or may not know, Spiral Nature Magazine is run by a tiny handful of dedicated volunteers. Right now we have seven staff writers and four editors, in addition to some 50-odd regular contributors who write articles and reviews for the magazine.
Our contributors are all freelance, and largely stick to their own schedule, but with all the great things we’d like to do this year, we could use some extra help.
Our new course editor will work with course creators to create new courses for Spiral Nature, and format them in WordPress.
For this role, we’re looking for someone to handle editing lessons, quizzes, and work with course creators to ensure the material matches the pitches assigned and our mandate.
Duties will include
- Substantive editing of courses and quizzes
- Copy editing and proofing
- Communicate feedback to course creators
- Use your specialist knowledge to contribute ideas
- Assist sourcing creators to produce new courses
- Writing articles and reviews (optional, but, yes, you get paid for these too)
What we’re looking for in an course editor
- 5-10 hours of your time per week
- Attention to detail
- Substantive and copy editing skills
- Intimate knowledge of Spiral Nature Magazine, what we publish, our style
- Experience with WordPress
- Moderate HTML skills
- Knowledge of a broad range of occult subjects and Pagan practices
- Familiarity with Canadian spelling, the Canadian Oxford Dictionary of Current English, and The Chicago Manual of Style or the ability to brush up on these things
- Eagerness to put Spiral Nature’s Style Guide into action
This position can be entirely remote, but if you’re in Toronto, there may be opportunity for in-person planning sessions, drinks, and noms.
Please note: This is a volunteer position, with a $100 honourarium paid each quarter for the wickedly awesome person who secures this position. With that in mind…
What you get out of it
- $100 quarterly honourarium
- 125 x 125 px sidebar ad (a $30 value)
- 300 x 250 px Occultnik Bazaar ad (an $80 value)
- Your name on the masthead
- Experience editing the world’s most awesome occulture magazine
- Build contacts within the Pagan and occult communities
- Other perks as they arise?
Send me an email outlining your experience, social media profiles, blog, and anything else you feel is relevant. I don’t need to see a resume.
Not interested, but know someone who might be? Please share this job posting with them and anyone else in your network. Thanks!
Application deadline: 31 January 2019