As you may or may not know, Spiral Nature Magazine is run by a tiny handful of dedicated volunteers. Right now we have seven staff writers and four editors, in addition to some 50-odd regular contributors who write articles and reviews for the magazine.
Our contributors are all freelance, and largely stick to their own schedule, but with all the great things we’d like to do this year, we could use some extra help.
Our new managing editor will set themes and determine content, solicit and evaluate pitches from writers, assign stories,
schedule articles and reviews, support the editors, communicate feedback, and format articles for publication in WordPress.
For this role, we’re looking for someone to handle managing the overall content of the magazine, as well as editing articles, and working with editors to ensure that articles and reviews match the pitches assigned and our mandate.
Duties will include
- Managing editors
- Manging writers
- Determining content themes and scheduling
- Communicate feedback to editors
- Use your specialist knowledge to contribute ideas
- Assist in sourcing freelancers to produce new material
- Writing articles and reviews (optional, but, yes, you get paid for these too)
What we’re looking for in an managing editor
- 5-10 hours of your time per week
- Attention to detail
- Intimate knowledge of Spiral Nature Magazine, what we publish, our style
- Experience with WordPress
- Moderate HTML skills
- Knowledge of a broad range of occult subjects and Pagan practices
- Familiarity with Canadian spelling, the Canadian Oxford Dictionary of Current English, and The Chicago Manual of Style or the ability to brush up on these things
- Eagerness to put Spiral Nature’s Style Guide into action
This position can be entirely remote, but if you’re in Toronto, there may be opportunity for in-person planning sessions, drinks, and noms.
Please note: This is a volunteer position, with a $100 honourarium paid each quarter for the wickedly awesome person who secures this position. With that in mind…
What you get out of it
- $75 per month
- 300 x 250 px Occultnik Bazaar ad (an $80 value)
- Your name on the masthead
- Experience editing the world’s most awesome occulture magazine
- Build contacts within the Pagan and occult communities
- Other perks as they arise?
Send me an email outlining your experience, social media profiles, blog, and anything else you feel is relevant. I don’t need to see a resume.
Not interested, but know someone who might be? Please share this job posting with them and anyone else in your network. Thanks!
Application deadline: 30 June 2019