Over the past 15 years, Spiral Nature has published hundreds of awesome writers, and I’d like to continue to do so, but I need help. Hence the job posting.
The assistant editor will support the editor, liaise with writers to ensure they’re on deadline and communicate feedback, change requests, and format articles for publication in WordPress.
Duties will include:
- Substantive editing of articles and reviews
- Copyediting and proofing
- Communicate feedback to writers
- Assessing pitches and making recommendations to the editor
- Using your specialist knowledge to contribute ideas
- Sourcing freelancers to produce new material
- Writing articles and reviews (and, yes, you still get paid for these)
- Assist with social media schedulling and interaction
What I’m looking for in an assistant editor:
- 5-10 hours of your time per week
- Attention to detail
- Substantive and copy editing skills
- Intimate knowledge of Spiral Nature, what we publish, our style
- Experience with WordPress
- Moderate HTML skills
- Moderate social media skills (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, LinkedIn)
- Knowledge of a wide range of occult subjects and Pagan practices
- Familiarity with Canadian spelling, the Canadian Oxford Dictionary of Current English, and The Chicago Manual of Style or the ability to brush up on these things
- Eagerness to put Spiral Nature’s Style Guide into action
This position can be entirely remote, but if you’re in Toronto, there may be opportunity for in-person planning sessions, drinks, and noms.
Please note: This is a volunteer position, with a $100 honourarium paid each quarter for the wickedly awesome person who secures this position. With that in mind…
What you get out of it:
- Experience editing the world’s most awesome occulture magazine
- Your name on the masthead
- Build contacts within the Pagan and occult communities
- My eternal gratitude
- That $100 quarterly honourarium
- Other perks as they arise?
Send me an email outlining your experience, social media profiles, blog, and anything else you feel is relevant. I don’t need to see a resume; instead please send links to samples of your writing and editing work.
Not interested, but know someone who might be? Please share this job posting with them and anyone else in your network. Thanks!
Application deadline: 23 June 2015