As you may or may not know, Spiral Nature Magazine is run by a tiny handful of dedicated volunteers. Right now we have three staff writers and five editors, in addition to some 50-odd regular contributors who write articles and reviews for the magazine.
Our contributors are all freelance, and largely stick to their own schedule, but we’d like to start a new music column, published twice a month, with a monthly mixtape made available for members.
Our new music columnist will contribute a column that can range in topics and themes, from album reviews, recommended round ups, interviews with musicians, instrument how-tos, cover festivals, concerts, and whatever takes your fancy, though it should be somehow be tied-in to the occultnik scene. Ability to weave in pop occultural references a huge plus. Dazzle us with your unique take on music in this scene, and how you want to share it with our readers.
Duties will include:
- Write about a music-inspired topic twice a month
- Write a monthly mixtape of recommended listening (open theme, links can be to YouTube, SoundCloud, whatever works best for you)
- Can be batched monthly for easier writing (and easier to edit for our editorial team)
- Make recommendations to the editor on innovative ways to cover music and related topics
- Use your specialist knowledge to contribute ideas
What I’m looking for in a music columnist:
- Familiarity with the occultnik music scene (Pagan, Thelemic, etc.)
- Familiarity with occulture
- Sense of humour
- Strong writer
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail
- Knowledge of Spiral Nature, what we publish, and our audience
- Experience with WordPress a plus
- Moderate HTML skills
- Moderate social media skills (Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Pinterest, Google+, LinkedIn)
This position can be entirely remote, but if you’re in Toronto, there may be opportunity for in-person planning sessions, drinks, and noms.
What you get out of it:
- $15 per article
- 125 x 125 px sidebar ad (a $30 value)
- Your name on the masthead
- Experience working the world’s most awesome occulture magazine
- Other perks as they arise?
Send me an email outlining your experience, social media profiles, blog, and anything else you feel is relevant. I don’t need to see a resume.
Not interested, but know someone who might be? Please share this job posting with them and anyone else in your network. Thanks!
Application deadline: 31 August 2018
Image credit: National Film and Sound with work from Psyche